Monday, February 10, 2014

Discuss Favorite Quotes - A Child Called It

"I felt proud of myself. I imagine myself like a character in a comic book, who overcame great odds and survived. Soon my head slumped forward and I fell asleep. In my dream, I flew through the air in vivid colors. I wore a cape of red... I was superman" This quote is from Dave, the little boy getting abused, after celebrating another victory over his mother. This was the aftermath of the stabbing incident, when his mother stabs him in the stomach. Three days later, the wound is still opening up, and knowing that his mother wont help him, he stays in the garage cleaning his wound with water and making a bandage out of an old rag. He is going through much pain with this wound but he is dreaming of survival and he feels strong for letting it not bring him down. Another quote that stood out was, "At the core of my soul, I hated myself more than anybody or anything. I came to believe that everything that happened to me or around me was my own fault because I had let it go on for so long. I wanted what others had, but saw no way to get it, so I hated them for having it." These are his feelings during the summer of 1972. He has been emotionally and physically abused for so long that he now only feels self-hatred. Like many other abused people, he has been taught that everything is his own fault and he is to blame for his own abuse. As the story continues, he weens out of believing this and starts to realize that its not.

No comments:

Post a Comment